Who are we?
We are an extension of the mission of the local churches.
The Gideons International in Australia often reaches people who have no contact with churches and who otherwise might not have been reached for the Lord Jesus Christ.
We are an interdenominational association of Christian business and professional men who are members of Protestant/Evangelical churches. Many of us are joined in the association by our wives.
Our members are dedicated to saving the lost through personal witnessing and the distribution of God’s Word.
What do we do?
We have distributed close to 16 million Bibles and New Testaments since the establishment of The Gideons International in Australia in 1956.
- Our members personally witness and provide New Testaments to people they come across in their daily lives.
- Our members personally distribute Bibles and New Testaments to Year 7 Students, Tertiary Students, police, fire brigade, medical and military personnel.
- We place the Word in the busy traffic lanes of life such as in hotels and motels, hospitals, prisons and correctional centres, medical waiting rooms and domestic violence shelters. For our members, it is exciting, enriching and encouraging to do this work.
Why do we do what we do?
Having God’s Word can lead people to faith in Christ, and new Christians can grow by studying the Word and even use it to share their faith with others.
Distributing copies of God's Word:
- Plants powerful seeds that God can use in His timing. (I Corinthians 3:6)
- Allows people to read the truth for themselves. (John 8:32)
- Provides a continuing witness when the Gideon is no longer present. (Hebrews 4:12)
- Makes it easier for the people we reach to, in turn, reach others with the truth about Jesus. (II Timothy 2:2)
- Makes it possible for new Christians to learn and grow through personal Bible study. (II Timothy 2:15)
How are we organised?
We are organised into 133 local groups from the locations listed below. Each group has responsibility for distributing the Word in a specific geographic area.
New South Wales
Australian Capital Territory
Gold Coast North
Gold Coast North
Gold Coast South
Gold Coast Central
Adelaide Northern Districts
Adelaide South East
Adelaide Southern Districts
Adelaide Torrens Valley